Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Week 12 Story: The Man and the Newspaper

The Man and the Newspaper

One day a man was coming home from work when he notices his dog holding his newspaper.  "Good boy!" The man said, as he tries to take the newspaper from the dog.

The dog says to him, "Not so fast!  I am very hungry as you forgot to feed me this morning.  Give me one of your chicks from the shed to eat and I will give you the paper."

The man goes to the shed to grab a chick, but the rooster attacks his hand when he goes to grab one.  The man says to the rooster, "I need one of your chicks to give it to my dog so he will give me the paper.  Out of me way!"

The rooster says to him, "Not so fast!  We have been too cold this winter and have gotten close to death.  Get us another blanket and you can have the runt of the flock."

The man goes inside to grab a blanket.  He doesn't have any spares except for the one his cat usually sleeps on.  The man goes to grab the blanket, when the cat plants its paw down on it and hisses in his face.  The man says to the car, "I need this blanket so I can give it to the rooster, who will then give me a chick, which I will then take to the dog, who will then give me my newspaper.  Get off of the blanket!"

The cat says to him, "Not so fast!  I have been wanting a rat to hunt for a long time now.  Find me some game and the blanket will be yours."

The man goes into his attic to find a rat and runs after one when he sees it.  However, the rat runs into the hole and the man can't get him.  The man yells at the rat, "I need you to please come to the downstairs and let my cat hunt you so he will give me his blanket, which I will take to the rooster, who will then give me a chick, which I will take to the dog, who will then give me my newspaper.  Come down stairs.  You just have to let him chase you!"

The rat says to him, "Not so fast!  I have had too many brothers and sisters die from the mouse traps you have put all around the house.  Disable them, give me the cheese, and i'll be bait for your cat."

The man goes to gather the cheese from the traps, but snaps his fingers in one of them and drops the cheese.  The cheese falls downstairs and lands on the lap of the man's daughter.  The man goes to his daughter sternly says, "Rita, you need to give me that cheese, so that I can give it to the rat, who will be bait for the cat, who will give me the blanket, which I will give to the rooster, who will give me a chick, which I will give to the dog, who will finally give me my newspaper!"

Rita thinks for a few moments, looks at him, smiling, and says, "Not so fast, Daddy!  I am bored... Give me the newspaper and the cheese is all yours."

The end.
Running in an infinite loop
Sourced via Pixabay
Author's note:
The original followed the same theme of the story told here starting with a farmer who can't get a pig to hop a fence and ends up going through a huge sequence of requests from dogs and cows and even fire and water to get it to finally hop over.  The biggest difference is I thought it would be really funny to make this story into an infinite loop at the end and have the father never get what he wanted.  This story was a lot of fun to make and I really enjoyed reading it when I was done!

Bibliography:
English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

2 comments:

  1. Hi Connor,
    This was really great! The story was really fun to read, and you did a good job putting all the pieces together. Was it difficult to write? As for the ending, was Rita just teasing her father or does she really mean not to give him the cheese? While it seems primarily comedic, it does seem like the father should treat his animals better to prevent this from happening again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Connor.
    What a great read! This story was very fun and lighthearted and I genuinely enjoyed reading it. You did a great job of making the story come full circle and clearly it took a bit of creativity to ensure the story would flow properly. Great work on this!

    ReplyDelete