Thursday, October 26, 2017

Week 10 Story: Recess RIP

Recess RIP

There once was a young boy playing on the playground of his school.  On the playground, there was a manhole leading to the sewers that all the teachers warned the students not to go near.  The boy was always curious about the hole and what might be down there.  Why would the teachers not want him down there?  Is there a secret tunnel leading to a secret meeting room that the teachers use?  Is there candy in this room?  He was set on finding out, but could never get it open.

It is the fall, there are leaves everywhere.  Big, beautiful golden leaves practically cover the entire playground.  The children gather the leaves into many piles and jump into them carefree.  However, the boy is fixated on the manhole.  It has yellow tape around it and there are construction workers working on it.  He watches as they leave on their lunch break and realizes this might be the only chance he has to find out what is in the hole.  Leaves are clogging it up so much that he can't even see where the hole is.  He waited until the teachers weren't looking, slid under the yellow tape, and instantly fell into the hole.  He is so scared that he can't even scream.  He hits the ground hard and it feels like he broke his leg.  He then looked up and saw Pennywise the clown staring at him, holding a red balloon.  He lets out a big yell when seeing him but it is no use, he is too deep in the hole for the teachers to hear him. 

File:Pennywise Cosplay 2.jpg
Pennywise the Clown sourced via Wikipedia
Pennywise smiles at him and asks if he would like to float back up to the surface.  He screams no and starts running down the labyrinth of a system the sewer is.  He runs for what felt like ages until he reaches a ladder that led to the surface.  He climbs up, cautiously opens the hatch, and there he finds a meeting room.  The principal and all his staff are there at a table laughing about how they are going to cut recess time by 30 minutes.  He was right!! There really was a secret meeting room.  He looks to his right and sees a big bucket of candy.  He starts to go toward the candy when Pennywise grabs his leg.  He starts to get pulled back in and he knows he can't scream or else the teachers will hear him.  He then remembers that Pennywise can only exist if he fears him, so he lets him take him into the tunnel.  When taken down, Pennywise asks if he is ready to float, and the boy starts laughing hysterically at him for looking like such a stupid clown.  Pennywise keeps trying to scare him by transforming into terrible things but they only make the boy laugh harder until Pennywise explodes.  The boy then sneaks back into the teacher's meeting place, steals the candy, makes it back to the playground, and gives the candy to all the boys and girls and he becomes the coolest kid in school.

The end.

Author's Note:

In the original story, a hunter travels to a family's house and is warned not to hunt on the north side of the land because of a deadly snake.  The hunter's curiosity gets the best of him and he goes there anyways.  When he finds the snake, he tries running away but the snake gets him anyways.  He struggles to get away and finally does when he wafts his body odor in the snakes nose and it runs away.  I wanted to keep the similar theme of curiosity nearly killing the cat but the cat getting away barely.  I also wanted to get a little more creative and make the theme more modern.  I also figured since Halloween is so close that I would make a story with a more spooky theme!

Bibliography:

The Hunter And The Uksu'hï by James Mooney

7 comments:

  1. Connor,
    Thanks for terrifying me to death!!! I saw IT last week and cried basically the whole time so this picture completely triggered me. Other than that I really like the way you modernized the story (and I mean it is Halloween) and liked that you gave it a happy ending! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Conner, this story sounds like my worst nightmare... I haven't seen IT yet but just the idea of being trapped in a hole with a clown is traumatizing. I am very glad that the kid made it out okay. Thanks for making a happy ending to this terrifying story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connor, Well first off your image scared me half to death. My biggest fear in life is clowns so thank you for the scare lol. Perfect timing with your story since today is Halloween! I could not focus on your story too much, not because it was not good but more so because I do not like scary stories at all. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Connor!
    Frist of all I really enjoyed reading your story, “Recess RIP.” I like how you set your story in a modern time. Also, I thought giving your story a spooky feel since it is close to Halloween was really creative. Further your picture I think complemented your story perfectly. Overall, I think you did a great job on this story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Connor,

    What a funky story. I could not tell if your story was supposed to be scary or funny but it seemed to have a little of each element. I have just one logistical question for you: How was the boy able to run if he broke his leg? You did a good job and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again, I love how you incorporated Pennywise into this. I loved the movie so when I saw his face in the story, I knew I would like it. I like how the story ended up having the things the boy wished would be in the tunnel and I like how he could overcome Pennywise. I wonder if other kids will decide to make the adventure into the manhole. Great story!

    ReplyDelete